|Back to the search|
March-Oct. Tue-Sun 10 am – 5 pm
Visitors enter the grounds of the „Friesen-Museum“ (Frisian Museum) through a gate of mighty whale jawbones. The museum building was erected in 1908. Inside visitors can gain information on different fields of the island history. The section on natural history explains the geology, fauna and flora of the island and the mud-flat.
Archaeological finds illustrate the settlement of the island from the Stone Age to the Viking Age. The section on cultural history shows the former way of living and working on the island, local traditions, arts and crafts, traditional art as well as extensive material on seafaring, emigration and on the history of the seaside resort in Wyk, which was one of the first on the North Sea coast. On the open-air grounds of the museum there is the Olesen House from 1617, which is built in the so-called “uthlandfriesische” way. It still has the original floor plan and the original interior decoration. New on the museum grounds is a re-erected historical barn from the island in which farming tools are exhibited.
Also new is a rose garden with old varieties of roses, guided tours are offered while the roses are in bloom.
Adults 3,50 € (4,80 € without spa card),
Reduced (children and adolescents 6-17 years, pupils, apprentices, students, people getting social welfare, unemployed, people doing military or community service) 2,- € (2,50 € without spa card)
Groups with 15 or more people 2,50 € per person (3,50 € without spa card), free admission for one attendant,
family ticket 8,- € (10,50 € without spa card),
School classes 1,- € per child (free admission for teachers)
Combiticket with the Museum Kunst der Westküste 11,50 €, reduced 6,- €, families 23,- €
Guided tours of the uthlandfriesian house take place every Thursday at 10:30 am this summer., The rally sheets cost €1.50 per sheet., Guided tours for school classes and nursery schools. Special topics and duration of the guided tour can by arrangement.
Series of publications by the Dr. Carl-Häberlin-Friesen-Museum on topics of cultural or island history
Arriving by car
Motorway A 7, exit Flensburg/Harrislee, federal road B 199 in the direction of Niebüll, please follow the signs to Dagebüll then, from Dagebüll harbour ferry connections to the island of Föhr daily between 6.30 am and 8 pm. The crossing takes about 45 minutes. Please call the “Wyker Dampfschiffsreederei” for departure times (phone +49 (0)4681-80140. Please make reservations in advance in case you would like to take your car with you to the island. Otherwise there are sufficient parking facilities in Dagebüll (with costs)., Motorway A 23 to Heide, then change to the federal road B 5 in the direction to Niebüll, please follow the signs to Dagebüll in Risum-Lindholm, 10 minutes by foot from Wyk harbour to the museum. There is also a bus. There is a bus stop directly at the museum.
Find more museums…
of the type: Archive Folklore local history museum Shipping
of the region: Nordfriesland