Create Account
English
Name des Museums
Titel des Bildes
Back to the search

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Museum Alte Münze
Am Mittelburgwall 23
25840  Friedrichstadt

Phone:
E-Mail: museum@friedrichstadt.de

Opening Hours

Apr., May and Oct.: Tue-Sun 12 am - 4 pm
Jun-Sept.: Tue-Sun 11 am - 5 pm
Nov-Apr:only groups by appointment

Dutch refugees for religious reasons built Friedrichstadt in 1621. Duke Friedrich III. of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf granted them asylum and promised them religious freedom.
In the museum you can learn about the founding of the town and the first settlers. Furthermore the different religious communities that lived in Friedrichstadt are presented. From the museum a glimpse into the prayer hall of the Mennonites is possible.
Another subject is the daily life in Friedrichstadt. Guilds, associations, fishing, trade and children’s life are explained.
The museum is located in an old storehouse. The governor of the duke built it in 1626. The people of Friedrichstadt believed that they would gain the right to mint and issue coins and hence called the house “Münze” (mint).